June 22, 2017

The Great Crack Hike in Ka’ū-January 16, 2016-RSVP

crackvfts1On Saturday, January 16, we will visit The Great Crack near the south boundary of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.  This will be about a 7 mile partial loop hike with shuttle.  Our hike will take us to an upper portion of The Great Crack, an 8 mile long, 60 foot wide and 60 foot deep crack in the surface of the earth and we will follow the crack southeast to the corner of the park boundary.   From there we will cross over the crack and follow an old rocky dirt road out to Highway 11 ending near the 49mm at Moaula Coffee.  Since we are shuttling I need everyone to RSVP if planning to join us.

For more info about the area:

We will meet at Punaluu Bakery in Naalehu at 9:00 a.m. ( for Malasadas!).  To get to the starting point of The Great Crack we will take Highway 11 towards Volcano where we will leave a shuttle vehicle at Moaula Coffee near the 49mm to get the drivers back to the starting point.  The starting point is between the 46 and 47-mile marker, on the mauka (mountain) side of the road is a paved pullout, and on the right side of the road is an overgrown dirt road. We will park our shuttle vehicles at the pullout.

The weather is typically hot and dry with very little shade. Hikers should wear closed toed shoes, carry hiking sticks and bring at least two liters of water, snacks, and sunscreen.

For additional information, contact Kathleen Johnson at 557-9246.

PLEASE NOTE: All members are welcome to bring guests or pass on information about our hikes to other hikers. However, if you do so, PLEASE make sure that you direct them to the Kona Hiking Club website to review the hike announcement and description. We want to make sure that everyone is prepared for the specific hike we are doing that day, whether we’re facing mud, heat, cold, steep trails, rocky trails, high altitude, exceptionally long distances, etc. Mahalo for helping us keep everyone safe!

Comments

1. Pam Cotten says:

Hi Kathleen, I’d like to RSVP 2 spots for the Great Crack hike (myself and Michael) – thanks!

2. Don & Rosie says:

Hi Kathleen,
    We both will be going on the Great Crack hike this week.
    Thanks Don & Rosie

• Jim Harrold says:

Don and Rosie,
      This will be my first time hiking with the club. The drive from Kona to Kau is one I would like to do with someone by sharing a ride, if possible. I’d be glad to chip in gas money. If you live in the Kona area and are interested in company, let me know.
      Mahalo,
      Jim Harrold

• I’ve added both Don & Rosie to the Great Crack hike list.
      Be sure to remind me to discuss the details for your Capt Cook hike options.

3. Tom Delaney says:

Dear Kathleen,

I would like to hike to the Big Crack. I think there are a couple of people here at Waikoloa Beach Resort who plan to come, too.

• Hi Tom, I’ve added you to the hike list. Are you referring to Ray and Barb? If so, they have RSVP’d.

• Connie Block says:

Hi, Kathleen (and Tom). I would love to join the hike but would need a ride as my car only seats two. Tom, is it possible for me to catch a ride with you? Happy to chip in for gas and treat you to malasadas and coffee!

Connie Block

• Connie Block says:

Hi, Kathleen (and Tom). I would love to join the hike but would need a ride from Waikoloa Beach as my car seats only two. Tom, is it possible for me to catch a ride with you? Happy to chip in for gas and treat you to malasadas and coffee!

4. Aloha Kathleen, I just learned about your hiking group from Rosie while paddling at the Keahoe Canoe Club this morning and she mentioned contacting you about this hike. I wish I had known more about your group earlier! My husband and I fly back to the mainland late Saturday -11:30 pm and would like to know how long the outing to the Great Crack would take? What time would we be back in Kailua? If the time frame is reasonable and would work with our flight, and if you have room for 2 more hikers we would love join you.
    Mahalo
    Roma

• Hi Roma, with the shuttling, malasada stop, and 7 mile hike we will probably be back to the Punalu`u Bakery no earlier than between 3:30 and 4:00.

• Mahalo. Thanks so much for your response Kathleen. We have decided not to participate and do something closer to Holualoa to have a more laid back day of departure. Enjoy the Great Crack!

• Hi Roma, thank you for letting me know so that I can accommodate my growing list of requests.
          Have a great hike, I assume you may be doing the Kaloko hike. 🙂

• Hi Roma!
      So glad you mentioned this hike at paddling this morning.
      If it is something that you plan to do, I’d love to carpool with you.
      Murray maybe too, though he’s busy grouting right now and unable to look at the map.
      It’s about an hour and a half to the bakery from where we live.
      We could wait for you on the highway … 75-6060 Kuakini
      Do email me directly to let us know if you’re going.
      letter2lorie@gmail.com
      Then if we commit we can let the club know so it’s prepared for the shuttle at the other end.
      Aloha,
      Lorie&Murray Bolton

5. Neil Silberman says:

Aloha Kathleen, I’d like to go on the hike with you this Saturday and will be asking Tom if there’s room for me in his car.

Mahalo,
    Neil

6. mark landers says:

Add me to the list please. Wymond can’t make it this time though.